In our commitment to education, we strive to provide the public with resources to battle the fatal disease of addiction.
Craving Identification and Management
Withdrawal Symptom Assessment Keys
Drug Detox and Pain Management
Sedative Hypnotic Addiction and Treatment
Opiate Addiction and Treatment
Hillemacher Thomas, Bayerlein Kristina, Wilhelm Julia, Bonsch Dominikus, Poleo Daniela. Bonsch Dominikus, Poleo Daniela, Sperling Wolfgang, Kornhuber Johannes, Beich Stefan. Recurrent Detoxifications are associated with craving in patients classified as Type 1 according to Lesch’s Typology. 2005.
Schumm Jeremiah A, Stines Lisa R, Hobfoll Stevan E, Jackson Anita P. The Double-Barreled Burden of Child Abuse and Current Stressful Circumstances on Adult Women: The Kindling Effect of Early Traumatic Experience. 2005.
New Leaf in the News
2 October – Dr. Stalcup testified in a Solano County Superior Court case about the combined effects of psilocybin mushrooms, alcohol, and marijuana. Cervantes defense blew him off, psychologist says.
21 January – Dr. Stalcup was quoted in an article released by The Associated Press about the consequences of methamphetamine abuse in California: Horrific Murder No Surprise in Meth Capital of US.
31 January – Dr. Stalcup recently interviewed on the Here & Now segment on WBUR Boston’s National Public Radio with host, Robin Young about the epidemic of methamphetamine abuse in California: The View From Meth Capital, USA.
16 February – Dr. Gantt Galloway was recently interviewed by KTVU Channel 2, about the possible risks of the inhalable caffeine product, AeroShot: FDA to Review Possible Dangers of Inhalable Caffeine Product.
21 February – Dr. Stalcup recently interviewed with KTXL FOX 40, about the history of methamphetamine murders with regards to the potential dangers of methamphetamine use: History on Speed Freak Killers
15 July – Dr. Stalcup was quoted in a front-page story in the Fresno Bee about the rise in heroin use that is following the prescription opioid epidemic: Heroin use on rise in Valley. Narcotic is cheaper alternative to prescription meds.
25 August – Dr. Galloway was quoted in a story on Medscape News about one of his recent research projects: Cell Phone Photos May Make Adherence a Snap. Simple, low-cost method may help boost adherence in a wide variety of patient populations.
8 November – Dr. Gantt Galloway was quoted in an article released by the San Francisco Chronicle about a recent research study focusing on a potential way to treat methamphetamine dependence through antidepressants: Antidepressant Could Help Meth Addicts Kick Habit.
28 November – Dr. Gantt Galloway was quoted in an article released by the San Francisco Chronicle about the warnings and adverse effects of pepper spray, with regards to the Occupy protests: The Accidental Vehicular Protest.
6 July – Our study of counseling for treatment of methamphetamine addiction was mentioned in a front-page story in the San Francisco Chronicle: New therapies, drugs offer hope to meth addicts.
27 July – Dr. Galloway was quoted in a front page story in the Contra Costa Times about adolescent addiction to the prescription opioid painkiller OxyContin: OxyContin prescription drug abuse a “silent, growing problem” amoung youths.
Upcoming Clinical Trials
The research staff at New Leaf is a national leader in promoting quality treatment, examining current treatment methods, and testing new treatments for drug dependence.
We are starting two additional clinical trials of treatments for methamphetamine addiction. One of these trials will test an automated text message system to give people in treatment at New Leaf extra support when they are not at the clinic. The other trial will test whether the medication modafinil (Provigil) is helpful in reducing the cognitive impairment and lack of energy seen after quitting and whether this helps people stay off of methamphetamine.
Publications By New Leaf Staff:
2. Mendelson JE, Tolliver BK, Delucchi KL, Baggott MJ, Flower K, Harris CW, Galloway GP, Berger P (2010). Capsaicin, an active ingredient in pepper sprays, increases the lethality of cocaine. Forensic Toxicology 28(1):33–37.
3. Baggott MJ, Siegrist JD, Galloway GP, Robertson LC, Coyle JR, Mendelson J (2010). Investigating the mechanisms of the hallucinogen-induced visions using 3,4-Methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDA) in humans: A controlled clinical trial. PLoS One, 5(12):e14074.
5. Li L, Lopez JC, Galloway G, Baggott MJ, Everhart T, Mendelson J (2010). Estimating the intake of abused methamphetamine using experimenter-administered deuterium labeled R-methamphetamine: Selection of the R-methamphetamine dose. Therapeutic Drug Monitoring. 32(4):504-7.
7. Polcin DL, Galloway GP, Bond J, Korcha R, Greenfield TK (2010). How do residents of recovery houses experience confrontation between entry and 12-month follow-up? Journal of Psychoactive Drugs 42(1):49-62.
8. Galloway GP, Singleton EG, Buscemi R, Baggott MJ, Dickerhoof RM, Mendelson JE, The Methamphetamine Treatment Project Corporate Authors (2010). An examination of drug craving over time in abstinent methamphetamine users. The American Journal on Addictions 19(6):510–51
12. Leamon MH, Flower K, Salo RE, Nordahl TE, Kranzler HR, Galloway GP (2010). Methamphetamine and paranoia: The Methamphetamine Experience Questionnaire. The American Journal on Addictions 19(2):155-68.
The information provided on our website is not intended to replace the skilled care of a physician or other licensed health care provider.
New Leaf Partners assume no responsibility for the actions taken by readers of these pages either in regards to, or detached from, the material contained therein.
Please be aware that all material on our pages, text, artwork and information and the pages themselves are copyrighted unless otherwise noted and no permission, unless specifically granted in writing by New Leaf, exists for the reproduction, retransmission or other copying of this material. Posting something on the Internet does place it in the public domain.
We will prosecute copyright infringement to the fullest extent of the Laws of the United States and the State of California.
Any dispute shall be governed exclusively by the Laws of the State of California and venue within that jurisdiction shall be entirely at the discretion of New Leaf.